Friends of CocoonsIf you would like to make a donation to help fund scholarships and environmental programs please click on Mission and Donations under the Special Events tab.
Waiting ListIf you would like to be added to our waiting list please email Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cocoons Connections Newsletter
The Cocoons Blog
We are SO excited to be able to offer some fun after school programs at Cocoons. The programs that have been firmed up are:
1. Mindfulness classes taught by our very own Miss Elizabeth on Mondays
2. Hip-Hop Dance taught by Rivertree Arts on Tuesdays
3. Yoga taught by our very own Miss Jen on Wednesdays
4. Mad Science taught by the Mad Science folks on Thursdays
….and maybe Karate on Fridays
(Actual descriptions of the classes will follow soon…)
**All children who are 3 and older and are registered to stay for aftercare at Cocoons past 4:00 o’clock will be automatically registered in classes as part of their aftercare experience.
**If your child is a present Cocooner and is not registered to stay in aftercare after 4:00, you may sign up for classes as of today, August 4th.
** Cocoons’ alumni ages 8 and younger can sign up as of 8/11th
** Registration will be open to the public as of 8/18th
Register Cocooners & alumni by emailing us to get your name on a specific after school class list. The cost of each class is approximately $10 or $100 per session. Everybody will pay the provider for the semester directly after 8/18th. DO NOT SEND COCOONS ANY MONEY FOR THESE CLASSES!
Class size will be limited to #12 students
** The class schedule will be as follows
Session 1: September 30-December 16. No class 11/11, 11/25, 11/28.
Session 2: January 13-March 24. No class 2/17.
Session 3: March 31-May 12 (6 classes). No class 4/21. $65.
Items will be auctioned off at the Art Show on May 18th, however you can prebid by emailing your bid to email@example.com.
1. One dozen organic eggs per week September – June (40 dozen) Our very own Maddie Dries dad & mom are the proud owners of LLL Farm in Kennebunkport. They lovingly raise their own pigs & chickens in order to sell organic pork, chicken and eggs. Be sure to visit their website and like them on Facebook! Value $150+)
2. Front Row Seats at the I Love You Show Every year 300+ people sit in the I Love You Show audience. As many Cocooners already know, you need to show up very early to get good seats! This is the perfect opportunity to get front row seats reserved for your family…as many seats as you need!
3. # 2 Patriots Tickets The Manning family has generously donated two Patriots vs Chicago Bears tickets. Game date is October 26th. Fantastic seats Section 129; Row 19; seat numbers 20 & 21 right on the aisle. (Value $300)
4. Ocean Exposure Family Photo Shoot ( Chris & Cindy Smith, owners of the renowned Ocean Exposure and alumni, have generously donated a beach photo session and an 8 X 10 of your choosing from the shoot. They are a phenomenal team who have even done lots of work for President Bush’s family! What a treat! (Value $300)
5. Original pastel painting of a Famous local landmark by acclaimed Maine artist Suzanne Payne (Suzanne M Payne lives in Kennebunkport and has received numerous awards for her paintings! She displays her work at Northlight Gallery on Ocean Avenue in Kennebunkport. This framed 8 X 8 inch painting is gorgeous! Thank you Suzanne for your ongoing support of the Friends of Cocoons scholarship drive! (Priceless)
6. Baker’s Dozen Lobsters fresh from our very own Mitchell Nunan’s boat Our very own Mitchell Nunan operates his own lobster boat out of Cape Porpoise. He has generously donated a bakers dozen of the freshest Maine lobsters you will ever eat. With one weeks notice they can be yours any time this summer!
7. 500 square feet (1 Pallet) of Sod ( Our very own Samantha Morgan’s dad of Winding Brook Farm in Lyman, Me has donated this gorgeous healthy sod! Winding Brook Farm is a family owned turf producer with more than 50 years of experience. Their team prides itself on providing the highest quality turf grass and the best service in NE. (Value $600)
8. One $200 organic farm share donated by Stone Farm located in Arundel & Kennebunkport. Stone Farm vegetables have been featured at 50 Local, Federal Jacks and SeaDogs in Portland. Order your veggies online and have them deliver to one of two local pickups. Farmer Mike Nadeau has been working very hard to grow the best veggies in NE. Visit www.stone-farm.net to learn more about his awesome farm plot.
9. $50 gift certificate donated by the famous Allisons Restaurant in the Port. Special thanks to Kelly Lord.
10. Blooms Flower Shoppe on Post Road in Wells has donated a uniquely beautiful floral arrangement every month for your home September -June-to be delivered either to your local home or to Cocoons for pick-up. Special thanks to the Moody families for their generosity. (Value $500)
11. One week of Cocoons 2015 summer camp. Monday-Friday; you choose the week next March when registration begins ; 9-3. (Value $200+)
12. Two hour fly fishing excursion/lesson for one angler with our very own master fly fisherman John Burrows. John is an atlantic salmon conservation and river expert! Your lesson will cover basic casting and angling techniques, fisheries and river ecology, and a tour of a few very special scenic sites on the lower Mousam River. There will also be an opportunity to catch fish if desired. Note: Fishing license not included (Value $200)
We are so excited that Spring is in the air. Online registration for Cocoons Summer camp begins on March 29th at 8:00am.
Please click on the Summer Programs tab at the top to view themes and prices and to register online.
We are thrilled to annouce that we are making some changes at Cocoons based on both amassing research that indicates the importance of education birth-8 and the well articulated needs of our parents.
Beginning September 2014, we are adding a toddler program, tweaking our existing programs, and extending aftercare hours. We are constantly looking for ways to make Cocoons even more magical than it is now!
Please take some time to read about the changes and contact us quickly if you are interested in registering for any for these programs. All spots will be filled strictly on a 1st-come-1st serve basis.
Exciting Changes at Cocoons
During the 2014-15 Academic School Year
New Toddler Program
Limited to #8 Children
Given that well documented evidence continues to amass regarding the importance of birth thru 8 education, Cocoons is expanding the ages of children we teach to include a Toddler Program for children ages 2-3 to lay the foundation for future learning. (No, they do not need to be potty trained!)
The program will be a nurturing, fun-filled, experientially based program with consistent exposure to books, art, music, small & gross motor activities, sensory activities, peers and buddying with older children, the garden, the barn, and outside fun. The development of the child’s expressive and receptive language skills will be fostered as we guide them in expressing their needs and ideas. Toddlers will learn, discover, create friendships, and have fun through both structured and unstructured play.
A downstairs classroom at Cocoons will be designed to effectively accommodate this age
A separate fenced area of the playground will be designated just for them.
Two experienced teachers will be hired to teach in this classroom
Toddlers will be able to attend either Tuesday/Thursday; Monday/Wednesday/Friday; or 5 days a week from 8:30-11:30 or 8:30 -3:00 and will be eligible to register for before-care from 8-8:30 and aftercare until 5:30.
Tuition will be the same as for all other children who attend Cocoons.
Kindergarten/1st Grade Multi Age Classroom Changes
Limited to #8 Students
During the 2013-14 school year, the kindergarten/1st grader’s primary classroom will be upstairs. Miss Peggy will continue to be the lead teacher with Miss Laura co-teaching the art, environmental education, and science curriculum. The curriculum will continue to be designed to meet each child’s needs at both the kindergarten and 1st grade level.
Limited Enrollment in First & Second Year Preschool Programs
Enrollment in the Green Room (First Year Preschool Classroom) will be limited to #13 children per day with #2 teachers and enrollment in the Blue Room (Second Year Preschool Classroom) will be limited to #16 students per day with #3 teachers. The design of the curriculum in these classrooms will remain the same! All spots will be filled on a 1st come 1st serve basis.
2014-2015 Aftercare Hours Have Been Expanded to 5:30
Due to popular demand, aftercare hours have been expanded to 5:30. The aftercare schedule will include opportunities for children to visit the barn, cook, do arts & crafts,and have fun with science as well as spend time exploring outside. We are also working on offering lessons like dance and karate through outside providers as an additional service to our families.
If you are interested in having your child attend Cocoons in any of these program, please firstname.lastname@example.org and return a registration form and a one month’s deposit to save a spot. All spots will be filled on a 1st-come-1st serve basis.
Open House for Prospective Students is February 13, 2014 at 7:00pm. (Adults only please) This is a great opportunity to meet the staff, tour our facility and learn about our programs! Hope to see you all there!
(According to the National Institute of Early Education Research) “Excellent preschool and kindergarten programs produce long term improvements in school success. (including higher achievement test scores, lower rates of grade repetition, and higher educational attainment.)”
- What are the teachers’ qualifications? The most important component of quality programs is the quality of the teachers. At Cocoons we hire the best teachers available!
- What are the teacher-student ratios? (According to the Center for Public Education) Students who are given more individual attention during their early years of education will continue to benefit even if their class sizes increase later on. At Cocoons the teacher-student ratios never exceed 1-to 7.
- Is informed, deliberate planning evident? (According to the acclaimed High Scope Educational Research Foundation) Intentional planning is vital to students’ success. At Cocoons teachers have common planning time every week; keep daily records logging children’s progress; and teach lessons on a variety of levels.
- Is there a strong commitment to outdoor exploration?. (According to the National Science Foundation) Early increased study of science and nature has proven to be beneficial for cognitive functioning, increased self discipline and emotional well being. At Cocoons children garden, care for animals and explore the 40 acres bordering the school year round.
Do your homework!
2013 Friends of Cocoons Art Show Auction List
1. Two Children’s Adirondack chairs (Minimum pre bid $150)
RJ and Cate Peacock’s grandpa is a master builder who has donated two adorable hand crafted child-size Adirondack chairs to our auction. They are priceless and would be a great addition to anybody’s home!
2. Dream Acres Equestrian Center #2 1 hour riding lessons (Minimum pre bid $100)
Learn to ride horses at London’s mom Angie’s beautiful equestrian center in Arundel- just minutes from Cocoons. They have a gorgeous indoor and outdoor riding rings and are the most patient trainers imaginable! This is a real treat. Thank you Angie!
3. One dozen organic eggs per week for 1 year (LLL Farm) (Minimum pre bid $150)
Our very own Maddie Dries dad & mom are the proud owners of LLL Farm in Kennebunkport. They lovingly raise their own pigs & chickens in order to sell organic pork, chicken and eggs. Be sure to visit their website and like them on Facebook!
4. Authentic Kennebunk Seaglass earrings with hand forged sterling silver wire by 5 Elements Design. (Minimum pre bid $40)
Founder of Kennebunk based 5 Elements Design, our very own alumni Riley Cerabona’s mom Kristen, designs and makes by hand each unique piece of jewelry inspired by fire, earth, water, air, and spirit. Visit her on www.facebook.com/FiveElementsDesign to get to know her work better.
5. # 2 Red Sox Tickets (Ed Tuesday) (Minimum pre bid $300)
Oh yeah…two greats tickets to a Red Sox game in Boston against the NY Yankees on July 19th . Seats # 3 & 4 in Box #105, Row EE. Almost directly behind 1st base. Thank you Sea Dogs Brewing Company!
6. Front Row Seats at the I Love You Show (Minimum pre bid $150)
Every year 300+ people sit in the I Love You Show audience. As many Cocooners already know, you need to show up very early to get good seats! This is the perfect opportunity to get front row seats reserved for your family…as many seats as you need!
7. # 2 Patriots Tickets (Minimum pre bid $300)
Manning family has generously donated two Patriots vs Miami Dolphin tickets. Game date is October 27th. Fantastic seats Section 129; Row 19; seat numbers 20 & 21.
8. Tom’s of Maine goodie bag (Minimum pre bid $30)
Thank you Lola & Val’s mom for donating this precious Tom’s of Maine bag with one of every product that Tom’s of Maine currently sells! This is a real “Maine Made” treat for yourself or to use as a gift!
9. Reserved parking spot in Cocoons parking lot (Minimum pre-bid $100)
OH…the Cocoons parking lot is sometimes CRAZY! Wouldn’t it be nice to have your very own reserved spot all year long!
10. #3 yards of bark mulch or crushed stone from RH Brown (Minimum pre bid $100)
The Hissong Group has generously donated #4 yards of bark mulch or crushed stone delivered within a 10 mile radius of RH Brown in Kennebunkport. Thank you Green room Griffin’s grandpa, mom & dad!
11. Ocean Exposure Family Photo Shoot (minimum pre bid $ 300)
Chris & Cindy Smith, owners of the renowned Ocean Exposure and alumni, have generously donated a beach photo session and an 8 X 10 of your choosing from the shoot. They are a phenomenal team who have even done lots of work for President Bush’s family! What a treat!
12. Original pastel painting “Summer Lit Mash” at Gooserocks by acclaimed Maine artist Suzanne Payne (Minimum pre bid $150)
Suzanne M Payne lives in Kennebunkport and has received numerous awards for her paintings! She displays her work at Northlight Gallery on Ocean Avenue in Kennebunkport. This framed 8 X 8 inch painting is gorgeous! Thank you Suzanne for your ongoing support of the Friends of Cocoons scholarship drive! (Priceless)
13. Baker’s Dozen Lobsters fresh from our very own Mitchell Nunan’s boat (Minimum pre bid $100)
Our very own Mitchell Nunan operates his own lobster boat out of Cape Porpoise. He has generously donated a bakers dozen of the freshest Maine lobsters you will ever eat. With one weeks notice they can be yours any time this summer!
14. 500 square feet (1 Pallet) of Sod (Minimum pre bid $300)
Our very own Samantha Morgan’s dad of Winding Brook Farm in Lyman, Me has donated this gorgeous healthy sod! Winding Brook Farm is a family owned turf producer with more than 50 years of experience. Their team prides itself on providing the highest quality turf grass and the best service in NE. (Value $600)
15. Ski Condo at Sugarloaf Three winter weekday nights during the 2013 ski season (non vacation) or two 2014 summer weekend nights at a precious trail side condo that sleeps 4 at Sugarloaf. (Minimum pre bid $200)
Ski, snowboard, snowshoe, tube in the winter or enjoy golf and hiking in the summer. Located near Mainely Huts trail. Thank you so much kindergarten Lillian’s Sittig family!
16. Authentic Maine Made Rope Door Mat. (Minimum pre bid $40)
This awesome yellow & green door mat was hand made by our very own Sarah Nunan using authentic rope from her husband Mitchell’s Cape Porpoise lobster traps. It even has an authentic lobster tag! A priceless gift or addition to your own home!
We are so excited that Spring is in the air. Online registration for Cocoons Summer camp begins on March 30th at 8:00am.
Please click on the Summer Programs tab at the top to view themes and prices and to register online.